Facts of life in Iceland
Here are some hard cold facts about us Icelanders that you would hardly believe at first.
1. Majority of Icelanders believe in elves. There even is a sign in Hafnarfjordur (a town you will pass going to Reykjavik) which says "Town of elves"
2. There is an volcano eruption on average every four years. Last one made all the world headlines with people trying to pronaunce the name Eyjafjallajökull.
3. There is no McDonalds, Burger King or a Starbucks. We used to have a McDonalds but for some reason that did not work out. Really an amazing fact!! First bite of a Bic Mac in Iceland was done by the prime minister.
4. Roughly 85 percent of Iceland’s energy is from renewable resources, and well over half of that is geothermal alone
5. One that you will definently love! Mosquitoes do not exist in Iceland.
6. In 2010, 97.6% of Icelandic population had Internet connection. We stay connected!
7. The Icelandic police don’t carry guns. Crime in Iceland is very low and violent crime is practically nonexistent.
An Actual Icelandic policeman on duty.